Project Name: Nyamira Missionaries Cultural Development (NMCD)
Dates: 1st -22nd August 2023
Orientation: 1st August 2023
Travel to the Project: 2nd August 2023
Project closure: 21st August 2023
Travel from the project: 22nd August 2023
Location: Nyamira County
Theme: Entrepreneurship skills training
To be the best cultural performers and handicraft makers in Kenya
To create an environment where personal and cultural change that support each other in the context of community.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To establish a presence of a successful suppler of soapstone carvings, clay and wooden artifacts locally and internationally.
- To gain a substantial market share of the artifacts and cultural performance and tourist centre at local and international level
- To run orphanage home to cater for orphans and children from poor families for their shelter, food and education.
- To engage into community development for empowering women and youth for them to be self reliant in generating income and being in touch with socio-political realities in the country and at international level.
- To engage into voluntary services at local and international level with interested organizations who have common objectives with our organizations to improves living standards of human beings across the world.
Nyamira missionaries was founded and registered with social development in 2002 in Kenya. The organization is located at Nyaramba -Nyamira County in South Nyanza Region of Kenya.
The organization consists of 137 members consisting men, women, youth who vary the age of 18 years to even 80 years. The organization has the office at Nyaramba market in Nyamira county about 10 km from Nyamira town on way to Ikonge town ship center.
The organization is managed is managed by executive committee that consists of chairperson, vice chairperson, the secretary, Vice Secretary, Treasurer and 5 members.
The organization runs the following projects;
NYARAMBA MISSIONARIES CENTER
The project attracts local and international travellers who come to relax and watch the following activities;
- The traditional Gusii cultural dances. These live performances that one session takes 1 hour. The dance troupe dances all Gusii cultural styles in African attires .It offers entertainment, education and information. The dance is quite vigorous and moving
- The artefacts are also displayed for general viewing and sale for both local and international visitors. These items are made by group members and it is one way of raising the income to up keep the organization and create self-employment for the members who always assemble at organization center to engage in this activity. They are professional and they have had exchange program with Burundi and Malawi in the past. The organization is looking for partners and volunteers from local and international level to run the program
- The volunteers’ rooms that are self-contained ,clean, have warm water, and have even all facilities even for cooking for those local and international tourists who may wish to prepare for their own choice of food. The rooms are allocated at organization offices in good conducive environment with security and friendly neighbouhood. The organization welcomes local and international tourists to come for holidays and weekends to its facilities.
- The organization engages in African beautiful baskets weaving that takes place at its organization premises. They sell locally and internationally. Therefore the organization is looking for partners and volunteers to create the market in Kenya and across the country.
AGE: Volunteers have to be at least 18 years old to participate in the work camp. There is no upper age limit.
PROJECT Activities: Volunteers will work for six hours daily from Monday to Friday.
TYPE OF WORK CAMP: CULT/MANU/ART
Manual work and Intercultural activities:
- Art work
- Women training on self-awareness and confidence building ∙ Women training on entrepreneurship skills and financial management
- Meetings and media campaign on women empowerment in leadership
- Home visits and topical discussion with the local people
PROJECT PARTICIPANTS: Maximum 20 volunteers from Kenya and the international community
What to carry?
This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch/flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
THEME: Entrepreneurship skills training
-To train women on entrepreneurship skills and financial management -To empower men, women and community leaders on leadership -To build capacity of women on life skills and self-confidence
- Women training on self-awareness and confidence building -Women training on entrepreneurship skills and financial management -Meetings and media campaign on women empowerment in leadership
Activity 1: Young women aged 18 – 35
Activity 2: Young women aged 18 – 35
Activity 3: Young women aged 18 – 35
- Men aged 18-35
- Community leaders 35+
METHODS: Energizers, group discussions, group presentations, audio, videos, site visits, testimonies
- Number of women have increased knowledge on entrepreneurship skills and financial management;
- Number of women have started their own business
- Number of women and man having skills on leadership; b) number of women competing for leadership positions; c) number of women who are participating in community meeting Objective 3:
- Number of speeches to women in the community;
- Number of women taking local leadership roles in the community
Orientation: Will be done on 1st August 2023 at Nairobi South YMCA Hostel in Nairobi and the team will leave for the project on the morning of 2nd August 2023.
Airport pick-up services:
- The port of entry to Kenya is Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi
- Airport pick up will be done on provision of full flight details.
- Volunteers will stay at Nairobi South YMCA Hostel at a subsidized fees ahead of their project placement.
Participation FEES: The project participation fees that is all-inclusive for the three weeks’ work camp is Euro 300
What is not included in the project participation fees: Transport to and from the project will be paid by the volunteers themselves.
INSURANCE: KVDA does not provide insurance and volunteers should obtain travel insurance cover. It is a good idea to get medicine you are used to from your home country and seek advice from your personal doctor.
WHAT DOES THE PARTICIPATION FEES COVER?
Project preparation cycle, return transfers from the airport, KVDA administration, orientation, certificate of participation, project coordination, facilitation, evaluation and monitoring
WHAT IS NOT COVERED?
Excursion activities, transport to and from the project, local travel, personal effects, needs and wants.
KVDA offers educational tours to spectacular sites including the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve at separate fees. Please contact us for specific tour information.
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD
- The host community will provide a house to accommodate the volunteers with very basic living conditions.
- Volunteers have an obligation to climb down the level of the people with the aim of exposure to development challenges.
- KVDA will provide foodstuffs and volunteers will cook their own meals in turns.
- Water is available from springs and it is recommended that drinking water should be boiled or medicated.
- Mineral water available at supermarkets is also recommended. ∙ There is electricity connection at the project and so the volunteers can use electric appliances.
LANGUAGE: English is the language of the work camp. There will be a possibility of learning Kiswahili and other international and local languages as cultural diversity is a major component in international service
Below are the emergency contacts for Kenya Voluntary Development Association:
KVDA Administration: +254721 650 357
PROJECT DETAILED INFO SHEET: Will be sent to the volunteer sending organization as soon as the application is accepted by KVDA
CONFIRMATION DEADLINE: Should be done via e-mail at least one month before the start of the project