Project Name : Newstar drama group
Location: Kisii County, South Kenya
Service Sector: Community Theatre
OVERVIEW ON HOSTING ORGANIZATION
- Kenya Voluntary Development Association (KVDA) is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, KVDA was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
- KVDA has since inception hosted over 50, 000 international volunteers to its community service development projects that have left indelible mark to efforts to enhance sustainable development.
Newstar Drama Group was founded in 1993 at Kenya Institute of Mass Communication (KIMC) Nairobi and was registered in 1996 by the Ministry of Culture and Social services. The group is a traveling theatre group that has performed at many high schools, universities, colleges, primary schools, social forums and Kenya National Theatre. Newstar is a member of International Drama/Theatre and Education Association (IDEA).
VISION: To advocate for a better life on this earth as the educator to mankind like diseases, education, investment, human rights, good governance, community theatre and youth development.
MISSION STATEMENT: To tap, train and contract performing artistes e.g. Actors, actresses, playwrights, poets, narrators, comedians and theatre arts` directors.
- Educate the society on diseases like HIV/AIDS, malaria and health related issues.
- To promote environmental activities in schools and public forums.
- To perform current Kenyan examination-oriented literature SETBOOKS in high schools like “An Enemy of the people” by Henrik Ibsen, “The River between” by Ngugi wa Thiongo & “Utengano” by Said Mohammed.
- To champion for women empowerment and girl child education.
- To perform community theatre e.g. human rights, good governance, drug abuse awareness, poverty eradication, and development.
- To host and participate in international exchange forums like IDEA WORLD CONGRESSES among others.
- To organize international and local training drama workshops/seminars.
- Creative, educational, entertaining and informative plays, comedies, narratives, poems, skits, traditional dances & training workshops
- Live performances on Kenyan examination literature set books e.g. “An Enemy of the people” by Henrik Ibsen and “The River between” by Ngugi wa Thiongo in secondary schools in Kenya.
- HIV/ Aids awareness program in both learning and non-learning forums.
- Running peace building and reconciliation program.
- Junior artistes’ program (children drama 6yrs – 15yrs)
- International artistes training and attachment program (1 month to 6 months) in Kenya, i.e. we attach performing artistes to our group performing projects between 1 month to 6 months.
- Entertainment and educative drama program.
- Exchange program with other artistes’ groups to share experiences.
- Newstar Drama Group office work.
- Performing arts training.
- Live drama performances.
- Mentorship for artistes.
- Promotional activities including marketing theatre productions.
- Submit Project Report to KVDA.
PROJECT START DATES
- Volunteers are accepted to join this project at any time of the year and should arrive in Kenya on 20th day of the month.
- The duration of placement is flexible depending on the availability of the volunteer
- 2-day orientation seminar will be done on the 21st and 22nd of every month
- The project participation fee is Euro 200 per month paid upfront on arrival to the cover costs stipulated for the entire duration of the project.
- Monthly payment of participation fees is not allowed for conventional purposes.
- Volunteers accepted on MLTV project for one month will pay Euros 300 for the one-month placement.
What is included in the participation fee?
- Return transfers from the airport
- Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
- Orientation, evaluation and monitoring
- Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
- Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
- Refreshments outside the project
- Air ticket and excursion, Visa and Insurance, Local travel and personal effects
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
- Home stay and the volunteer is entitled to private room but will share other amenities and meals with the host family.
- It is convenient for the volunteer to carry sleeping bag, mat and personal effects.
- KVDA has a memorandum of understanding with the host project regarding the project costs with appropriate procedures, checks and balances.
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up.
- We strongly advice volunteers against getting taxis on their own without reference to KVDA due to the obvious risks and in case of any challenges on arrival kindly contact KVDA via mobile telephone 0721650357
- Volunteers will be driven to the YMCA South hostels located 15 Kilometers away from the airport where they will be accommodated ahead of their placement to the project.
- The residence is situated in the serene environment with amble space for recreation and spectacular setting as the inauguration of volunteering to make a difference in the world.
- Kenya is replete with a lot of interesting and natural spectacular sites of interest that would capture the imagination of volunteers.
- From the tour to the renowned Maasai Mara Game Reserve to visits to local community beholding sights, the volunteers have the previledge to make choices that would fundamentally make the difference.
- The project also offers a perfect opportunity for people who enjoy being close to nature and are interested in the spectacular setting that traditional way of living in the heartland of the African culture would enrich your cultural heritage.
Laundry and water:
- Water is available at the hosting house from springs and it is important to preserve water at all times due to its scarcity and cooperation with the hosts will be highly appreciated
- There are no washing machines in the institution and the volunteer will be guided on how to wash clothes
- Volunteers are expected to have their own medical insurance and other personal expenses and it is important to carry your own medical and travel insurances.
- Mentor for the volunteer from the hosting organisation: KVDA will designate its staff to play the role of mentoring and this is the vital link between the volunteer and the organization. The Mentor has the responsibility to enable the volunteer to efficiently execute their tasks with diligence.
- Function of mentor: advise, educate, be a role model to the volunteers; providing problem solving, collaborative support, positive and non evaluative feedback and emotional support for volunteers; to provide comfort, exposure, visibility and challenging assignments which directly support the volunteer’s personal and professional development; to provide counselling and friendship to support the volunteer’s self-image and competence and thus to listen, guide, advice, teach and offer professional support to the volunteers
- The mentor will be available for the volunteer as a constant supporting person. However, he/she should not be directly involved in the daily work of the volunteer.
- Mentor’s Experience with international volunteers: More than 3 years’ experience with international volunteers
Project participants: Maximum 10 volunteers from different nationalities recruited through KVDA partner organizations
What to carry: This is outlined in the detailed info sheet and includes, sleeping bag and mat, toiletries, torch, flashlight, sandals, mosquito net, national flag from your country, among others
DONATION AND GIFTS: These are usually symbolic gestures to enhance the solidarity of volunteers and the hosting community. Kindly contact KVDA for details in case you are willing to support a worthy cause in the community either by offering a donation or long-term intervention on the project.
APPLICATIONS: Should be done at least one month in advance through KVDA partner organization in respective countries. KVDA does not accept direct applications by volunteers.